Frequently Asked Questions
What is microblading?
Microblading is a type of cosmetic tattooing, also referred to as micropigmentation or semi-permanent tattoing. Unlike to regular tattoing, microblading is a form of tattoo artistry where pigment is implanted beneath your skin with a sterile manual handheld tool and a disposable blade instead of a machine. The results will create hair-like strokes that will enhance the appereance of your brows with a very natural and realistic look.
How is microblading different from regular body tattooing?
Microblading is done utilizing pigments and a manual tool, unlike regular body tattoing where inks and machine are used. The blade used for microblading won't penetrate the skin as deep as a regular body tattoo would, making in a non-permanent procedure. Likewise, microblading pigments are meant to give you a softer more natural look and to gradually fade, fadinf is desirable as it will allow for changes in shape and colour as the clients' skin changes in appereance and with age.
How old must I be in order to get microblading done?
You must be at least 18 years old.
Is microblading suitable for me?
Dryer and combination skin types, smooth and healthy skin are the most suitable for this technique. Please consider the following points prior to booking and appointment:
- If you have extremely oily skin, the manual hair stroke technique might not work best for you. The olier skin types will cause the hair strokes to expand and heal diffused, leaving the end result to look more powdery than defined, it can also cause premature fading.
- If you are a smoker, iron deficient or anemic, your pigment may fade sooner and bleeding/bruising may occur during and after the procedure.
- On those with little to no hair the results will look more two-dimensional in comparison with those with more hair.
- If you have had your eyebrows previously tattooed, consider that removal may be needed or that there may be more sessions needed to correct previous work, each session will be charged accordingly and results will vary depending on each case.
If you have one or more of these characteristics, then microblading may not be suitable for you: Mature skin, deep wrinkles, oily skin/big pores, skin affected by acne or other conditions, very thin or thick skin, scarring, allergies that may flare or get affected by microblading, sensitive/very dry skin.
Who is NOT elegible for microblading?
- Cosmetic tattooing can be unsafe for pregnant or nursing women. Please ensure that you are not pregnant or plan to be prior to booking an appointment.
- If you have cancer and are undergoing cancer treatments (chemoterapy/radiation).
- If you are Diabetic (may be suitable with doctor’s clearance).
- if you have HIV, AIDS, Hepatitis, Viral infections and/or diseases.
- If you are currently on Accutane or have just finished the treatment. You need to be at least 12 month free of the medication to be elegible for microblading.
- If you are currently on Steroid medications or Prednisone. You need to be at least 6 months free of the medication to be elegible for microblading.
- If you have severe acne, history of Keloids or Hypertrophic scarring, open wounds, extremely thin/wrinkled skin, skin irritations or Psoriasis near the treated area (rashes, sunburn, acne, etc.)
- If you suffer from Epilepsy, or major heart problems and/or have a pacemaker.
- If you have had an organ transplant (may be suitable with doctor’s clearance).
- If you have heart conditions, uncontrolled high blood pressure, poor general health.
- If you are on blood thinners.
- If you are currently sick (cold, flu, etc).
Please note that any treatment, medication, or illness that compromises the immune system or the healing process makes you NOT suitable for microblading.
Who is microblading for?
If you are looking to have fuller browsor bolder brows, maybe you are unhappy with your current shape and want a more defined look, perhaps you suffer from alopecia or trichotillomania, have very sparse, thin/blonde brows, maybe you have plucked more than you should have or you are just wanting some tweaking with your arches. If you are tired of filling in your eyebrows everyday or not being able to go for a swim or to the gym without fearing your make uo will come off...
If any of those sound like you, then yes! Microblading may be the right solution for you and you are now ready to change your life. It is incredible how some changes can make such a huge difference on your appearance and boost your self-esteem.
What to expect from microblading?
- Microblading will give you sweat/waterproof natural and realistic looking brows.
- It can help you achieve a fuller and more defined shape.
- It can help cover up scars and bold patches.
- It is semi-permanet and will fade to allow any changes or adjustments needed as you age and to keep up with the beauty standards. Cosmetic tattoo enhancements are considered semi-permanent and will not wash off, however, they will fade over time and may need to be refreshed every 1-2 years. The fading will vary depening on each person.
How many treatments are needed?
Microblading is two step process that involves a first session and a touch up session done about 8 weeks appart, about a week after the initial session your brows will lighten up dramatically, the second session is crucial to adress the colour retention, density/shape and to make any necessary changes. The healing process is very different for everyone, in most cases the eyebrows will need tweaking after the initial appoitment, remember you can always go darker and add more density during the touch up.
In certain cases more than two sessions are needed to achieve the desired results, this will be determined by your skin type, post care routine and other factors unique to each client and session.
Annual refreshers are recommended to mantain your new microbladed eybrows looking fresh and on point.
Is the studio and equipment safe?
Absolutely! We are Blood Borne Pathogens certified. We only utilize single use implements and new disposable needles and supplies per client every time, cleanliness, sanitation and hygiene are top priority. Each set-up for each client is safely discarded and the room, equipment and surfaces are thoroughly disinfected before opening and after each procedure throughout the day.
Does microblading hurt?
Microblading is certainly not a 100% pain-free procedure. However to ease up the process we use a topical numbing with 5% lidocaine prior and during your procedure.
Please note that since everyone's pain tolerance and sensitivity varies we cannot estimate how much pain you will experience. For some, the discomfort presented during eyebrow threading, plucking multiple hairs at once or a light scratching of the skin can be comparable to the one experienced during microblading.
You may experience more sensitivity/discomfort if the procedure if:
-Microblading is performed during or near your menstrual cycle
-You are a frequent smoker
-If you have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia
What to do before my microblading appointment?
- Do not consume alcohol or caffeine at least 24hrs prior to your appointment.
- Do not take blood thinners (ibuprofen, niacin, aspirin, fish oil, vitamin E, etc) at least 72hrs prior to your appointment.
- Avoid sun/bed tanning for 30 days BEFORE and AFTER your procedure. If you show up for your appointment with a new tan or a sunburn, you will need to reschedule and will forfeit your deposit.
- Do not get any eyebrow waxing, threading or plucking for at least 3 days prior to your appointment.
- Cosmetic Botox or fillers should be done at least 3 weeks in advance. Avoid any Botox or fillers after first appointment and second session has being done.
- No chemical peels of any kind or laser treatments should be done for at least 4 weeks prior to your appointment (can include but not limited to Alpha Hydroxy Acid, Pumpkin, Microdermabrasion, Glycolic, Fraxel, Co2, IPL Laser treatments, Laser facials, etc).
- Ensure that you are not pregnant.
Failure to follow these precautions can intervene in the succes and safety of your procedure.
What is the microblading process?
- On the day of your appointment please arrive 10 min. earlier to go over the process and procedure forms.
- You are welcome to bring any reference pictures with you. Feel free to fill in your eyebrows as you normally do so we can take that into consideration to design your new brows. Our goal is to shape and design a set of brows that accentuates your beauty.
- Prior to the procedure we will numb the area and match the righ pigment for you based on your skin tone and hair color.
- After numbing we will map your new brows, this process will ensure you will get your ideal shape, we will move forward only after you OK the shape. If needed, re-mapping can be done to guarantee ideal shape. You will sign off on the design and we will the proceed to microblade.
- Once microblading has being completed, the treated area can present some discomfort for the first few hours and tender to touch for a couple days.
What happens after the procedure?
Immediately after your microblading procedure and in the first 10 days, your eybrows will appear significantly darker than expected, TRUST THE PROCESS. It may continue to get darker over the next few days as scabs begin to form, however this is not an accurate indication of the finished and healed result.
30-50% of your eybrow color will fade as the scabs fall off within 7-10 days. In some cases, the scabs may take longer to heal and fall off. DO NOT ITCH OR PICK YOUR SCABS. The pigment is within the scab and you do not want to pull any pigment out of your skin prematurely.
Results vary client to client. Not all eyebrow tattoos heal clean and crisp. Hair strokes for oilier skin types tend to heal more solid and powdery, while drier skin types heal more crisp and defined. We all heal differently and what works on one client may not be effective on another so please do not compare your results.
What is the aftercare?
After care for the next 7-10 days after the procedure: It is crucial to follow these instructions for the full 7 day healing period to ensure proper healing and color retention. Results will vary for all individuals and we can not guarantee your results:
- Let your brow tattoo DRY HEAL FOR 24- 48 HOURS after the procedure.
- Use the after care cream first night and the next morning. A VERY SMALL amount on the brows using a clean finger or q-tip. You do not want any build up of the cream so an almost translucent layer is best.
- After the 24-48 hour healing period, moisturize your brow tattoo as needed for the next 2 weeks whenever they feel dry or tight.
What to do during the healing process?
- Do not apply any make up on the eyebrows and brow area for at least 2 weeks
- Do not itch or pick at scabs, dry skin/flakiness.
- Avoid contact with water directly on the eyebrows and eyebrow area.
- Do not bleach, tint or dye the eyebrow area for at least 4 weeks.
- Do not apply any anti-acne products (e.g. Benzoyl Peroxide, Salicylic Acid, Proactiv, etc.) or lightening creams (skin bleaching creams) such as hydroquinone to the treated area while healing. No anti-aging products or facial products containing Alpha Hydroxyls (AHAs), Retin-A, Lactic or Glycolic AcidsDo not thread, wax, or use hair removal products on the treated area while healing.
- Avoid the use of cleansers, exfoliants, soaps, heavy creams, retinol acids or AHA’s on the area for 30 days afterthe appointment (causes premature fading).
- Wash around the areas using a cleaning cloth or oil-free makeup wipe.
- Do not apply Vaseline, Neosporin and any other petroleum based products.
- Avoid any activities that will cause sweating for 10 days.
- Avoid swimming pools, hot tubs or other bodies of water for 14 days.
- Avoid UV exposure (including tanning booths).
- Do not undergo any Laser light therapy, as it can darken/lighten or distort the pigment.
- Avoid face massages, facials or skin treatments.
Once your new microbladed eyebrows have healed, any changes or additions that need to be made can be done at your follow-up appointment no sooner than 6-8 weeks later.
What to expect in the future?
- Microblading will fade 1-3 years after the procedure and depending on everyone's skin type and post-care.
-As with any other type of tattoo, exposure to the sun and tanning beds can cause fading and discolouration of the pigment. Once completely healed, you may apply sunscreen on the treated area. Wear large sunglasses and a hat for further protection. Rinse and dry the area thoroughly when in contact with chlorine.
- Glycolic acid, microdermabrasion, and chemical face peel products must be kept away from the tattooed area as continued use could lighten the pigment.
- Always inform your technician that you have had microblading done if you are having an MRI, laser resurfacing or laser hair removal. Be aware that laser procedures may darken, lighten, or discolor the tattooed area.
- Additional eyebrow makeup application may still be required post tattoo to achieve your desired look.
- Yearly refreshers at EGO Besauty are recommended to maintain your results.
How do I book an appointment?
TEXT 250 718 9639 to make an appointment. $50 Non-refundable deposit is required to make an appointent. Bookings or cancellations wont be accepted over email, Instagram, Facebook or any other social media outlet.
Please ensure that you have red and understood our FAQ and that you have read our booking rules and policies plus Waiver Form prior to making an appointment.
Download and print our Waiver Form, make sure you fill/sign it and dont forget to bring it to your appointment.
What form of payment do you accept?
- We accept Cash and Credit card (Visa, Mastercard or American Express)
- NO Debit, NO Visa Debit
- E-transfer is accepted
for deposits only, remaining balance must be paid on the day of your appointment with either CASH or CREDIT CARD,
no same day e-transfers.
Are there any side effects?
During the procedure some minor bleeding may occur and depends on every person, after the procedure, although not common, bruising may appear. be aware of some tenderness and a bit of discomfort post-procedure.
In some cases microblading may not take and this will depend on each persons unique case. In other cases more than 2 sessions will be needed to achieve desired results.
Allergic reactions can occur during and after the procedure, in such cases please contact your doctor immediately. Some reactions may include but are not limited to redness, swelling, rashes, blistering, dryness, etc.
Numbing cream/gel will not always have effect on every person, each individual is different and while some may get completely numm, others won't. As a result from the procedure and the numbing, you maqy experience some redness/swelling for a few days after.
To reduce the risk of side effects and to maximize the success of the procedure, always follow after care instructions.